OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF AMERICAN SAMOA
ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL RECRUITMENT
Do you want to practice law on a tropical island that remains free of COVID-19? Do you want to gain significant legal experience in a U.S. Territory? Do you want to experience a unique culture in the South Pacific? Do you want to wear flip flops to court?
American Samoa is a U.S. Territory, located approximately six hours from the State of Hawaii, with an approximate population of 55,000. The Territory follows U.S. federal law as well as local territorial law. The Office of the Attorney General is responsible for representing the Territory in both Civil and Criminal legal matters. Our Civil Division provides both general counsel to government departments and representation in litigation. Our Criminal Division prosecutes all crimes in the Territory, from traffic violations to major felonies. Our attorneys enjoy a relaxed, casual environment in a beautiful tropical setting.
Applicants who are hired off-island receive two-year employment contracts (which are renewable). The annual salary is $60,000. In addition to salary, two-year contract employees receive the following benefits:
- furnished housing (nominal cost to employee is $25.00 per week)
- travel to/from American Samoa at beginning and end of contract (including family members)
- shipping allowance for personal effects (as set by regulation)
- medical and dental coverage
- generous annual leave (26 days per year) and sick leave (13 days per year)
- contract renewal bonus
This position is based in American Samoa and cannot be performed remotely at this time.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD APPLY IMMEDIATELY. PRIOR APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO SUBMIT UPDATED MATERIALS ARE ENCOURAGED TO DO SO. WE HAVE OPEN POSITIONS IN BOTH CRIMINAL AND CIVIL DIVISIONS. WE ARE ACTIVELY RECRUITING FOR BOTH DIVISIONS.
The Office of the Attorney General in American Samoa is currently accepting resumes for the following Assistant Attorney General positions within our Civil and Criminal Divisions:
CIVIL DIVISION: We are recruiting individuals with experience in the following areas:
- Civil Litigation
- Employment Law
- Workers Compensation Defense
- Personal Injury Defense
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- Child Support enforcement
Responsibilities: Assistant Attorneys General represent the American Samoa Government in a variety of civil matters. A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is required. This position is responsible for initiating and defending civil actions, which includes preparing pleadings, interviewing clients and witnesses, preparing for and conducting administrative and judicial hearings, as well as legal research and writing. The areas of practice generally include torts, contract, civil procedure, workers’ compensation defense, appellate, constitutional, and other areas of law as needed to defend the Territory and its interests. This position also includes such other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Attorney General.
CRIMINAL DIVISION: We are recruiting individuals with experience in:
- Felony prosecutions
- Misdemeanor prosecutions
- Juvenile prosecutions
Responsibilities: The Assistant Attorneys General represent the American Samoa Government in felony, misdemeanor and/or juvenile prosecutions. A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is required. Our prosecutors are responsible for prosecuting crimes in the territory and such duties include reviewing police reports, preparing pleadings, interviewing victims and witnesses, meeting with police officers and investigators, negotiating pleas and preparing for and conducting judicial hearings (including first appearances, probable cause hearings, motion hearings, status conferences, trials and sentencings). This position also includes such other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Attorney General.
Mandatory Qualifications for ALL positions:
- Juris Doctorate and Bachelor’s Degree required
- Member in good standing of a state bar in the United States
- Minimum of 2 years of experience of demonstrated increasing responsibilities with additional experience preferred
- Commitment to high-quality legal work
- Must be well-organized with good analytical skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, and able to work in a team environment
- Self-starter with proven experience as a member of a litigation or prosecutorial team
- Demonstrated case analysis ability a must
Additional Qualifications for Civil Division positions:
- Significant substantive and procedural motion practice, including in a judicial clerkship
- Strong and successful legal research and writing skills
- Record of proven negotiation and settlement skills
- Ability to budget costs and calculate exposure with substantive and procedural legal knowledge
- Client-focused and client-relation skills required
Additional Qualifications for Criminal Division positions:
- Experience with prosecutorial case management software and willingness to employ use of same in one’s role as prosecutor (preferred, but not required)
- Experience working with police officers
- Experience with directing and monitoring efforts of criminal investigators
If interested in a position with either our Civil Division or Criminal Division, please submit a resume, a writing sample, a list of 2-3 references, and a cover letter detailing:
- the position in which you are interested;
- your relevant qualifications;
- summary of professional experience, including typical case load and trial exposure;
- your motivations for an employment change;
- why you would like to live in American Samoa; and
- your ability to relocate to American Samoa on an expedited basis.
Please send application materials to: email@example.com.