Division of Economic Justice
Antitrust Bureau – New York City
Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. ANT_NYC_AAG_3342
Application Deadline is April 30, 2021
The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an attorney to join its Antitrust Bureau in New York City as an Assistant Attorney General (AAG). The Antitrust Bureau’s mission is to enforce federal and state antitrust laws on behalf of New York and its citizens, and to promote and protect the competitive process and the New York economy.
The Antitrust Bureau is engaged in the full range of antitrust issues, including price-fixing, bid-rigging, horizontal and vertical restraints, monopolization, and mergers. The Antitrust Bureau works closely with other state antitrust enforcers on matters of regional or national impact, and with the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission.
The Antitrust Bureau is comprised of twelve (12) AAGs, a Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chief. AAGs participate in all phases of antitrust investigations and litigation. Primary responsibilities include:
- Drafting subpoenas and information requests to gather evidence;
- Interviewing potential witnesses and targets and taking testimony;
- Reviewing documentary and economic evidence and formulating potential legal theories;
- Drafting discovery requests, pleadings, motions, briefs and other court documents;
- Arguing motions and participating in trials;
- All aspects of electronic discovery;
- Working with economists and other expert witnesses; and
- Negotiating settlements where appropriate.
OAG employees serve more than 19 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
The applicant must have five (5) or more years of legal experience including antitrust, complex litigation and investigations. The candidate must be must be a self-starter and team player. The following background and skills are required:
- Exceptional writing, analytic, and communication skills;
- Familiarity and experience with antitrust precedents and issues; and
- Ability and willingness to engage in every part of an investigation, trial, settlement or appeal – from drafting to leading a team.
The following skills/experience are strongly preferred:
- Experience and familiarity with health care provider and payer markets;
- Deposition experience;
- Trial experience;
- Plaintiff-side antitrust experience;
- Experience and familiarity with economics used in antitrust cases; and
- Experience with e-discovery technology and process.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website: ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on April 30, 2021
- Cover Letter (may be addressed to Legal Recruitment);
- List of three (3) references (with contact information including email addresses); and a
- Writing sample.
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov.