Division of State Counsel
Claims Bureau, Contract Litigation Section – Albany
Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. CLA/CLS_ALB_AAG_3358
Application Deadline is June 25, 2021
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s Claims Bureau represents the State of New York and its agencies and authorities in New York State courts, specifically the Court of Claims and Supreme Court. The Contract Litigation Section of the Albany Claims Bureau is seeking an experienced litigator to defend and prosecute complex breach of contract cases involving construction, design and commercial transactions. The selected attorney’s portfolio will include large, complex claims that cover multiple disciplines such as construction, engineering, architecture and finance. Applicants should note that prior experience litigating construction, design, or commercial breach of contract cases is a plus but is not required.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the full spectrum of the duties of litigation counsel, such as drafting pleadings and papers; motion practice (including analysis, research, drafting and oral argument); the full range of discovery (including interrogatories, paper/electronic document discovery, and taking and defending depositions); selecting and working with expert witnesses; negotiation of settlements; trial preparation; and representing the State of New York at mediation and trial.
Candidates for AAG must possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of three (3) years of practice experience, including prior litigation experience;
- Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Solid organizational, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills—this position requires an attorney who can work effectively at the highest professional level with courts (NYS Court of Claims and Supreme Court), executive staff, mediators, and client agencies;
- Adeptness with technology, including experience with electronic discovery and familiarity with Relativity or other e-discovery platforms, is a plus;
- Though most cases are venued in Albany County, some are venued in New York City or elsewhere in New York State, so occasional travel may be necessary.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
OAG employees serve more than 19 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The OAG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: CLA/CLS_ALB_AAG_3358
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on June 25, 2021
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Legal Recruitment)
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses
- Law school transcript if less than five (5) years post-graduate (unofficial is acceptable)
- Writing Sample
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov