The Criminal Division is seeking attorneys with previous trial and/or appellate experience to join our team to handle complex collateral litigation and various appellate assignments. The position is ideal for someone who has a genuine interest in criminal law, a strong desire to be in the courtroom—both circuit and appellate courts—and enjoys a fast-paced environment.
Under general supervision, your job responsibilities will include:
- Handling complex collateral litigation in the circuit court including preparing pleadings and responses to collateral review actions, conducting necessary legal research, representing the State at bench trials and other circuit court appearances, and preparing post-hearing memorandums or proposed orders for judges’ consideration as requested.
- Representing the State in appeals before the South Carolina Supreme Court and South Carolina Court of Appeals, including preparing motions, briefs, or other filings; conducting research; and appearing for oral argument in both direct appeals and post-conviction relief appeals.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor(s), Chief Deputy Attorney General, and/or Attorney General.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility.
- Paid parental leave (effective October 1, 2022).
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance for employees, spouses, and children.
- Fifteen days of annual (vacation) per year.
- Fifteen days of sick leave per year.
- Thirteen paid holidays.
- State Retirement Plan and Deferred Compensation Programs.
Juris Doctorate Degree and experience as a practicing attorney.
Prior litigation or appellate experience is required.
Necessary Requirements: Must be a member and in good standing with the South Carolina Bar. Must satisfy Rule 403 requirements.
- Some overnight travel is required.
- Must have an above-average understanding of computers, software, and technology (beyond MS Office and related software).
- Position may be required to travel and transport files.
- Well-organized with a demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines, and must have excellent oral advocacy, legal research, and writing skills.
If you are interested in this position, please click here to Apply for an Attorney in Criminal
DRUG SCREENING, CREDIT CHECK, DELINQUENT TAX CHECK, SLED BACKGROUND CHECK, AND GRIEVANCE CHECK ARE REQUIRED.
THIS OFFICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
EEOP Utilization Report available upon request.