Assistant Attorney General – New York City
Reference No. EXEC_NYC_AAG_3490
Application Deadline is August 26, 2022
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an experienced, trial-ready litigator to serve as an Assistant Attorney General (AAG) in the Executive Division. The AAG will focus on complex investigations and civil enforcement actions to end and remediate practices that harm the public. This position will report to the Special Counsel for the Executive Division and be located at the New York City office.
The AAG will assist with the prosecution of cases that are of heightened importance to the State of New York and the OAG from commencement to trial, including the next phase of the State’s litigation against certain opioid manufacturers and distributors for their role in the opioid epidemic (click here to learn more about the OAG’s lawsuit). Litigation matters handled by the AAG will often be high profile, frequently present complex questions of constitutional law and statutory and regulatory interpretation and generally have significant policy and financial implications for the State. The AAG role offers a unique balance of independent and collaborative work, wherein the AAG will assist with the development of case strategy, draft briefings and make arguments while working with and supporting a team of litigators that prioritizes cooperation, professional development and teamwork.
Suitable candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- At least three (3) years of post-graduate civil litigation experience in federal and New York state courts, with a focus on complex litigation;
- Prior experience with complex, multi-party litigation, including participating in trials and/or evidentiary hearings, managing experts and electronic discovery, and dispositive motion practice is strongly preferred;
- Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills;
- Comfort with and experience using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms; and
- Enjoys working with and assisting a group of attorneys.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Applications are being received via email. To apply, please submit your complete application, including each of the items indicated below, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must indicate both the position title and reference code (Assistant Attorney General, EXEC_ NYC_AAG_3490) in their cover letter and email subject line. To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on August 26, 2022. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate the position title and reference code: Assistant Attorney General, EXEC_NYC_AAG_3490
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Writing Samples
- Please provide at least two writing samples (trial court memoranda of law are preferred) that you believe best demonstrate your legal writing and analytical abilities.
- Please upload these as one document in the field that is provided.
- List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080. For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov