Division of State Counsel
Litigation Bureau, Prisoner Litigation Section – Albany
Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. LIT_ALB_ AAG/PS _3458
Application Deadline is July 8, 2022
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Litigation Bureau in Albany is seeking attorneys to handle federal litigation commenced by persons incarcerated in New York State prisons. Generally, the Litigation Bureau represents the State of New York and its agencies and officers in state and federal courts in proceedings relating to civil rights, education, social services, public employment, public health, law enforcement, corrections, state finance, insurance, taxation, and other litigated matters arising out of state operations and legislation.
This position is located within the Bureau’s Prisoner Litigation Section where cases present questions of federal constitutional law, and statutory interpretation. Attorneys in the section handle all phases of litigation from pleading to discovery to motions. With satisfactory performance, attorneys in the section can expect to participate in trials, first as a limited second chair handling minor witnesses, with the possibility of advancing to conducting a trial as first chair.
Suitable candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Applicants must be admitted to practice law in New York State;
- Excellent lawyering skills including research, writing and legal analysis are required;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Comfort with and proficiency using technology to complete legal work, prior knowledge of and experience using various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms is desirable; and
- Availability for some travel in New York State is required.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the OAG be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website: www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on July 8, 2022.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in a position with the Litigation Bureau and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Writing Sample
- Please provide at least two writing samples that you believe best demonstrate your legal writing and analytical abilities, memoranda of law or appellate briefs are preferred.
- Please upload these as one document in the field that is provided.
- List of three references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov