Division of Appeals & Opinions
Criminal Appeals & Federal Habeas Corpus Bureau – New York City
Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. CAFHC_NYC_AAG_3654
Application Deadline is March 15, 2024
The Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an attorney to serve as an Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Appeals and Federal Habeas Corpus Bureau of the Division of Appeals and Opinions. The Bureau represents the State in all appellate litigation arising from criminal prosecutions brought by the OAG, including cases brought by the Public Integrity Bureau, the Criminal Enforcement and Financial Crimes Bureau, the Organized Crime Task Force, and the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, and must be provided an opportunity to intervene in any case in which the constitutionality of a state criminal statute is challenged.
The Bureau also responds to federal habeas corpus petitions bringing constitutional challenges to state court convictions obtained by district attorneys throughout the state, as well as challenges to state parole determinations and other state action that results in custody. Additionally, the Bureau provides advice and counsel on criminal matters to state prosecutors and others throughout the OAG. Attorneys in the Bureau draft briefs and motion papers and present arguments in all federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout New York.
Applicants must have a minimum of three (3) years of legal experience, demonstrated skills in legal research, analysis, and writing, a talent for oral advocacy, and an interest in thinking about the law. Prior criminal appellate experience or clerkship experience is required.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that OAG attorneys be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. To learn more about Assistant Attorney General compensation, please visit the following page: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assistant_attorney_general_compensation.pdf. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Applications must be submitted online. To apply, please visit our careers website: https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on March 15, 2024.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address your letter to the Legal Recruitment Unit.
- Indicate why you are interested in appellate practice and what makes you a strong candidate for this position.
- At least two (2) legal writing samples
- Please submit writing samples that reflect your legal advocacy and writing skills. Court filings, such as briefs filed in state or federal court, that address a disputed legal issue (rather than only factual issues) are preferred but not required.
- Writing samples reflecting appellate advocacy and writing are also preferred but not required.
- For each writing sample, please indicate whether you were the primary drafter of a particular section of the writing sample, and whether the writing sample also reflects comments or edits from others.
- List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note that your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov