Division of State Counsel
Litigation Bureau – Albany
Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. LIT_AAG_ALB_3652
Application Deadline is March 1, 2024
The Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking experienced litigators to serve as Assistant Attorneys General in the Litigation Bureau in Albany. The Bureau represents and defends the State of New York and its agencies, officials, and employees in federal and state courts in civil actions and proceedings involving civil rights, education, social services, public employment, public health, law enforcement, corrections, state finance, insurance, taxation, and other litigation matters arising out of state legislation, regulations, and operations. The Bureau’s cases are often high profile, frequently present complex questions of constitutional law and statutory and regulatory interpretation, and generally have significant policy and financial implications for the State.
The Bureau offers a diverse and stimulating litigation practice with attorneys handling all phases of litigation from inception through trial. The Bureau’s attorneys handle a wide variety of cases and substantive issues including constitutional challenges to statutes enforced or regulations promulgated by state agencies; labor and employment litigation emanating from state agencies’ role as employers; challenges to administrative decisions and determinations made by state agencies under state law; and civil rights litigation generated from state agencies’ core functions. This role also offers a unique balance of both independent and collaborative work, wherein attorneys generally manage their own cases, including development of case strategy and drafting briefs and making arguments, while at the same time being supported by a team of litigators that prioritizes cooperation, professional development, and teamwork. This position provides an excellent opportunity for both experienced and newer attorneys to continue developing their litigation and trial skills.
The attorneys work in teams called “Sections”, which are led by a Section Chief and, in most instances, a Deputy Section Chief, which provides attorneys with significant access to and support from supervising attorneys, as well as opportunities for collaboration with peer attorneys.
- Applicants must have a minimum of four (4) years of post-graduation civil ligation experience;
- Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Comfort with and proficiency using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms; and
- Applicants with prior complex litigation and trial experience are preferred.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. To learn more about Assistant Attorney General compensation, please visit the following page: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assistant_attorney_general_compensation.pdf. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Applications must be submitted online. To apply, please visit our careers website: www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on March 1, 2024.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address your letter to the Legal Recruitment Unit.
- Indicate why you are interested in a position with the Litigation Bureau and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Writing Samples
- Please provide at least two (2) writing samples that you believe best demonstrate your legal writing and analytical abilities.
- Please upload these as one document in the field that is provided.
- List of three references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note that your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov