The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General (the Office) seeks a dynamic and experienced individual to join our team as the lead attorney for fulfilling Inspection of Public Records Act (IPRA) requests. The lead IPRA Attorney is responsible for overseeing and managing legal matters related to IPRA requests to the Office. Their primary focus is the timely, efficient, and effective processing of requests to inspect public records. The IPRA Lead Attorney works closely with the Special Counsel for the Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General for Civil Affairs, and Director of Government Counsel & Accountability and collaborates with attorneys and legal professionals throughout the Office
• Oversee and manage IPRA request fulfillment, including working with other attorneys, developing case strategies, and representing the New Mexico Office of the Attorney General in court or administrative proceedings.
• Provide legal counsel and guidance on IPRA laws, regulations, and policies to the Office.
• Collaborate with other government agencies, community groups, and stakeholders to address IPRA and government transparency issues effectively.
• Develop and implement internal trainings to build institutional awareness about IPRA and government transparency.
• Assist in the development and implementation of policies and regulations aimed at IPRA law and government transparency.
• Engage in public policy discussions, testifying before legislative bodies, and promoting legislation or regulations that develop the legal framework impacting public records in New Mexico.
• Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
• Admission to the New Mexico state bar and in good standing or the ability to acquire a limited law license.
• Minimum of four (4) years of experience in the practice of law. Preferred qualification of 6 years of experience in litigation, with a demonstrated experience processing IPRA requests and 3 years of management experience preferred.
• Strong knowledge of IPRA law, and other relevant legal areas.
• Excellent leadership and management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a team of attorneys and legal professionals.
• Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
• Demonstrated commitment to public service law.
To apply for the position of IPRA Attorney Lead, please submit the following documents to Dean Woulard.
1. Cover letter detailing your interest in the role and your relevant experience.
2. Resume/CV with a detailed overview of your educational and professional background.
3. Writing samples showcasing your legal research and writing abilities.
4. Contact information for three professional references.
The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is committed to recruiting the highest quality candidates who embody its institutional values of:
• Integrity – a commitment to honesty, ethical behavior, and transparency in all actions and decisions;
• Excellence – the highest level of professionalism and expertise in all aspects of our work, and;
• Service – a strong dedication to serving the public interest and prioritizing the well-being of the community – especially the interests of those least capable of defending themselves.
The New Mexico Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applicants from all backgrounds to apply. For more information, please visit www.nmag.gov.