Division of State Counsel
Civil Recoveries Bureau, IFR Unit – Brooklyn
Reference No. CRB/IFR_BRK_SC_3517
Application Deadline is December 2, 2022
The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an attorney to serve as the Section Chief of the IFR Unit of the Civil Recoveries Bureau, located at 55 Hanson Street, Brooklyn New York. The Unit recovers money owed to the State for the cost of care provided by Downstate Hospital. The Unit consists of one attorney, the Section Chief, who is responsible for managing the office and supervising five collections specialists and support staff. The Section Chief is responsible for a large number of hospital accounts and has frequent interactions with the hospital finance and executive staff. Legal work includes cost-recovery litigation in New York State Supreme and Surrogate’s Courts, Article 81 proceedings, a broad range of motion practice, and judgment enforcement.
Suitable candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- At least five (5) years of general civil litigation and Surrogate’s Court experience;
- Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
- Bankruptcy experience and knowledge of Medicaid and Medicare is a plus;
- Comfort with and proficiency using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management platforms; and
- Prior experience supervising and/or mentoring support staff is preferred.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
The annual salary for this position is $147,075-$163,318 + $3,026 in location pay. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on December 2, 2022. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Writing Sample
- List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080. For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov