Division of Criminal Justice
Medicaid Fraud Control Unit – Albany
Special Assistant Attorney General
Reference No. MFCU_ALB_SAAG_3317
Application Deadline is March 19, 2021
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is seeking attorneys with experience prosecuting and/or investigating complex wrongdoing to serve as Special Assistant Attorneys General in its Albany office. Utilizing various state laws, including the New York State Penal Law, the False Claims Act, Social Services Law §145-b, and the Executive Law, the Unit brings civil causes of action or criminal proceedings to stop fraud by healthcare providers, to protect the integrity of the State Medicaid program and to protect the health and well-being of residents of residential care facilities. Many of these actions are conducted in coordination with other state, federal or local government and prosecutorial agencies, and have resulted in large-scale financial recoveries on behalf of the State of New York, as well as the arrest and prosecution of various wrongdoers.
The selected candidates will lead team investigations of allegations of financial fraud in the healthcare industry, and of abuse and neglect of residents of healthcare facilities, present evidence to grand juries, and conduct evidentiary hearings and trials in New York State courts.
Applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Minimum of four (4) years of practice experience, including substantial grand jury, trial and/or investigative experience that must include criminal practice experience and preferably includes the investigation and prosecution of financial crimes;
- Excellent analytical, writing, communication and organizational skills;
- Experience drafting and overseeing the execution of search and eavesdropping warrants is a plus;
- The ability to articulate the critical issues in a case accurately and precisely;
- Strong research and interpersonal skills;
- Good judgment;
- The ability to work independently and to work productively as a team member, as well as the ability to work in a supportive, respectful and collaborative manner with professional staff and support staff; and
- Technology proficiency that preferably includes knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office applications, and case management and eDiscovery platforms.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
OAG employees serve more than 19 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: MFCU_ALB_SAAG_3317.
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on Friday, March 19.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (which may be addressed to Legal Recruitment);
- List of three (3) references (with contact information including email addresses);
- Most recent transcript (if less than 5-years postgraduate) and a
- Writing sample.
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov.