This Special Counsel Assistant Attorney General position will be based in Miami and will function as a lead litigator for the South Florida Bureaus of the Consumer Protection Division. The position will work closely with other litigators for the Division in assisting and advising division attorneys in trial, pleading, practice, and procedures, and taking a lead role in our complex litigation cases.
This position represents the Office of the Attorney General, Department of Legal Affairs, in trial and appellate courts and administrative tribunals in proceedings relating to Chapters 501, 542, 812, 817, 895, and 932 of the Florida Statutes, the Florida Administrative Code, and other state and federal laws enforced or relevant to cases filed by the Office of the Attorney General.
In general, the duties of this position are as follows:
- Participates and oversees investigations of alleged consumer protection violations by individuals and/or corporate entities; reviews reports prepared by law enforcement officers, investigators, accountants, and financial analysts; locates and obtains documentary evidence. Oversees the investigation of potential violations of state and federal consumer protection and trade practices law; gathers and evaluates evidence and prepares cases for appropriate legal proceedings.
- Conducts litigation of consumer protection cases in state and federal courts, including preparing pleadings, motions, memoranda of law and briefs; prepares legal research and evaluates the research of investigators and paralegals; prepares subpoenas, conducts discovery, and engages in other pretrial and trial work. Attends trials, hearings, and appellate oral arguments in court. Computer use is required for the preparation of pleadings, briefs, and other documents. Negotiates resolutions of litigation cases or investigations and drafts resolution documents such as assurances of voluntary compliance, consent judgments, and mediated resolutions.
- Participates with other states through the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) by representing the State of Florida in multistate investigations and litigation. Conducts legal research and assists in preparing legislation proposed by the Department.
- Responds to correspondence and telephone inquiries concerning consumer protection issues.
- Represents the Department in meetings and conferences relating to consumer protection investigations and litigation. Establishes lines of communication with local, state and federal law enforcement officers and prosecutors; serves on federal and state task forces and works with those agencies, as needed; initiates contact with and processes information from law enforcement agencies to further consumer protection enforcement.
- Reviews and maintains current expertise to share with the Division in consumer protection law, including reading recent judicial decisions and case summaries and attending continuing legal education and other professional seminars.
- Assists with initiatives and special assignments.
- Provides high-level input and acts as a resource to the various Bureaus throughout the State.
- May assist with developing training programs for attorneys, paralegals, and investigators.
- Performs routine administrative functions, including supervising legal assistants, paralegals, and interns; attends staff meetings; prepares time records and case status reports; e-files documents, etc.
- Performs in a timely fashion other assigned duties, which may require extended hours and/or travel outside the worksite.
Admission to the Florida Bar and ten years of professional experience in the practice of law, in the judiciary or in teaching law or any combination thereof; and five of the ten years must be in the specialty area in which the attorney is being hired (civil litigation).
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- 5 or more years of civil litigation experience
- Extensive trial and motions practice experience
- 3 or more years of work experience in the prosecution or defense of cases involving fraud, deceptive trade practices or white-collar crime.
Please apply online through our website: https://jobs.myflorida.com/job/MIAMI-SPECIAL-COUNSEL-ASST-ATTORNY-GENERAL-DLA-41001937-FL-33131/1028210000/