Division of State Counsel
Special Litigation Counsel – Albany
Reference No. LIT_ALB_SLC_3491
Application Deadline is September 9, 2022
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking a highly experienced litigator to serve as a Special Litigation Counsel in the Albany Litigation Bureau. The Bureau represents and defends the State of New York and its agencies, officials and employees in federal and state courts in civil actions and proceedings involving civil rights, education, social services, public employment, public health, law enforcement, corrections, state finance, insurance, taxation, and other litigation matters arising out of state legislation, regulations, and operations.
The Special Litigation Counsel will act as lead attorney on, or closely supervise, federal and state litigation that is of heightened importance to the State of New York, including litigation matters brought against the State’s elected officials such as the Governor, State Comptroller and members of the State Senate and State Assembly, as well as challenges to the State’s election laws. Litigation matters handled by the Special Litigation Counsel are often high profile, frequently present complex questions of constitutional law and statutory and regulatory interpretation, and generally have significant policy and financial implications for the State. This role offers a unique balance of independent and collaborative work, in which attorneys generally manage their own cases, including development of case strategy and drafting briefs and making arguments, while at the same time being supported by a team of litigators that prioritizes cooperation, professional development and teamwork.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as lead attorney on significant and/or complex civil litigation from complaint through trial;
- Drafting and editing written work product;
- Representing clients and State agencies in state and federal court at temporary restraining order and/or preliminary injunction hearings, oral arguments, and trials;
- Negotiating and evaluating settlements;
- Providing advice and mentoring attorneys on a variety of topics; and
- Performing non-litigation assignments and special projects, as well as other duties as assigned.
Suitable candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- At least ten (10) years of post-graduate civil litigation experience in federal and New York state courts, with a focus on the handling of complex litigation;
- Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills;
- Comfort with and experience using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms; and
- Enjoys working with and assisting a large group of attorneys.
Due to the nature of the litigation matters handled by the Special Litigation Counsel, the following qualifications are also preferred:
- Significant prior civil jury trial experience in federal and New York state courts;
- Prior experience litigating Section 1983 civil rights matters; and
- Prior experience litigating emergency applications for judicial relief, such as temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, including handling preliminary injunction hearings.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Applications are being received via email. To apply, please submit your complete application, including each of the items indicated below, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must indicate both the position title and reference code (Special Litigation Counsel, LIT_ALB_SLC_3491) in their cover letter and email subject line. To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on September 9, 2022. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate the position title and reference code: Special Litigation Counsel, LIT_ALB_SLC_3491
- Indicate why are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
- Writing Samples
- Please provide at least two writing samples (trial court memoranda of law are preferred) that you believe best demonstrate your legal writing and analytical abilities.
- Please upload these as one document in the field that is provided.
- List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080. For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov