The National Attorneys General Training & Research Institute
Center for Ethics and Public Integrity
The National Attorneys General Training and Research Institute (NAGTRI) created the Center for Ethics and Public Integrity (CEPI) in August 2016. CEPI provides anticorruption and ethics training through courses ranging from one to five days. CEPI is also a resource for prosecutors and others seeking information about corruption prevention and anticorruption enforcement, particularly at the state level.
The CEPI mission is to provide training, research, and technical assistance to prosecutors involved in the fight against corruption, and to provide training and other resources on the ethical practice of law by government attorneys.
The national Anticorruption Academy, CEPI’s 5-day flagship course, provides a comprehensive overview of the investigation and prosecution of corruption. Topics include: privilege issues unique to cases involving public officials; investigative planning and the use of undercover officers and informants; press and political considerations; multi-jurisdictional cooperation; trial strategies and common defenses; and common ethical issues facing the corruption prosecutor.
- Multiple stand-alone mid-level and advanced anticorruption courses address corruption cases from beginning to end: from the investigation, to charging decisions, to providing discovery, to the trial, to the appeal. The courses are designed to have minimal overlap, and may serve as a five-year curriculum for the corruption prosecutor.
- Ethics courses designed for both civil and criminal government attorneys, which include: addressing discovery and Brady issues in greater depth, including in multi-jurisdictional and/or multi-agency cases; ethical issues that may arise when a prosecutor is involved in an investigation; ethically navigating media and other scrutiny in high-profile cases; and questions of how to define and candidly advise agency clients.
- As requested by individual attorneys general offices, mobile trainings to address prosecutors’ ethical guidelines and requirements, and/ or recurring issues arising in corruption investigations and cases.
Research and Technical Assistance
- The free, monthly electronic CEPI Newsletter. CEPI gathers and disseminates information via email about current trends in investigations, prosecutions and appeals; anticorruption legislation; op-eds and media coverage; and international issues. Contact NAGTRI Program Specialist Molly Flanaga, email@example.com, to receive this newsletter.
- A comprehensive manual on the investigation and prosecution of corruption, tailored to the needs of state and local prosecutors, with an expected publication date in 2017.
- A comprehensive manual on the investigation and prosecution of money laundering, also tailored to the needs of state and local prosecutors, with an expected publication date in 2018.
- Ongoing research on ethics and corruption topics of interest to the state and territorial attorney general community.