The National Attorneys General Training & Research Institute
Sexual Cyber Predators: Understanding Sextortion and Holding Offenders Accountable
Moderators: Jeanette Manning, Director, NAGTRI Center for International Partnerships and Strategic Collaboration, National Association of Attorneys General
Gina Cabrejo, Criminal Justice Instructor, NAGTRI Center for International Partnerships and Strategic Collaboration, National Association of Attorneys General
Presenter: Mona Sedky, Senior Trial Attorney, Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice
The National Attorneys General Research and Training Institute (NAGTRI) and the U.S. Department of Justice Criminal Division (DOJ) are pleased to present a two-part webinar series on sexual cyber predatory activities.
These webinars are relevant for practitioners who work on investigations and criminal cases involving human trafficking, sex crimes, cyber, harassment, and online predatory criminal cases for their respective offices. These webinars are open only to state attorney general staff, local prosecutors, law enforcement officers, investigators, and staff from state and local police departments and federal investigatory agencies, DOJ attorneys and staff, and victim advocates from state, local, and federal government agencies.
The two-part series will discuss:
- An introduction of sextortion in its many forms, such as non-consensual pornography, online threats, and other forms of cyberstalking.
- Current national trends.
- Special circumstances in identifying and working with vulnerable populations and victims.
- Investigating cases and special challenges commonly associated with handling these cases.
- Charging and prosecuting these cases and avoidable mistakes.
- Mental health considerations that arise in many cases.
- Helpful collaborative efforts and who must be part of the prosecution team.
- Review a case-study to learn effective strategies in addressing cyber sexual matters.
Disclaimer: Both webinars will contain graphic material and include a sensitive discussion given the topic surrounding sexual violence and harassment.
This webinar is open to members of the attorney general community and government. Please note, this webinar is not open to private industry attorneys or representatives not associated with NAGTRI, DOJ, or local, state, and/or federal government offices, or otherwise not approved to attend. Audience members must have a .gov address in order to register and participate. NAGTRI will monitor attendance closely.
This webinar will be held on Thursday, August 22, 2019, 2:00 – 3:30 PM (ET).
There is no cost to attend this webinar. CLE will not be provided for this course.
NAGTRI will not record these webinars, and participants are prohibited from recording these webinars.
To register, please CLICK HERE.