NAAG urged Facebook to abandon any plans to develop Instagram Kids, a new Instagram platform exclusively for children under the age of 13. The letter was signed by 44 attorneys general.
In their letter, the attorneys general express various concerns over Facebook’s proposal, including:
- Research that social media can be harmful to the physical, emotional, and mental well-being of children.
- Rapidly worsening concerns about cyberbullying on Instagram.
- The use of the platform by predators to target children.
- Facebook’s checkered record in protecting the welfare of children on its platforms.
- Children’s lack of capacity to navigate the complexities of what they encounter online, including advertising, inappropriate content, and relationships with strangers.